Wednesday 26 August 2015

6 Things about Madeira Island, Portugal

Hey Crushers,

Recently I went to Madeira island in a work trip and I decided that I had to share this experience with you guys. Although I'm Portuguese, this was the first island that I visited. Just to give you a quick overview about it: Madeira is located in the north Atlantic Ocean, being visited every year by about one million tourists.

Madeira is known for its wine, gastronomy, historical and cultural value, its flora and fauna and beautiful landscapes (classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site). Its annual New Year celebrations feature the largest fireworks show in the world. Unfortunately, I was only there for 3 days, and I was working hard, so I didn't have enough time to visit the whole island. I met Funchal, which is the capital and the largest city. 

Anyhow, it was enough time to take my own (probably hasty) conclusions. Here are 6 things I learned about Madeira:

1. Sea, everywhere. Yeah, I'm not stupid, I know it's an island. Anyway, I'm not used to be so close to the sea all the time, and I loved it! It doesn't matter where you are, if you look for it, the sea is there for you. I loved opening my window in the morning with that breathtaking view!

2. Nice, simple people. The people from Madeira are used to tourists visiting all year and you can expect to be treated with kindness and lots of smiles from the locals. It's also a safe place, great for young people looking for an adventure or families with young children. 

3. Nosy taxis drivers. This one was the funniest thing for me. I was with a work colleague there and taxi drivers were very concerned with our relationship and our purpose on the island. There wasn't a day where we weren't questioned about what we do, where we are from, why we where there, etc. Sometimes they would end up with a comment like "well, two beautiful women on the island..." with that curious/suspicious look on their faces. We though it was very amusing.

Madeira
Credits

4. Peace. It's just so peaceful comparing with our crazy lifestyle. No traffic, no noise, things just happen with the appropriate speed and without so much stress. I think I wouldn't get used to it, but sometimes it's nice to feel a different environment.

5. It goes up... and down! Take your comfortable shoes with you because this island is going to test your limits. Think positive: the higher you go, the better landscapes you'll see! Ps: it's hot too, so don't forget your water bottle.

6. CR7. If you like soccer, you have to know Cristiano Ronaldo. Since he was born in Madeira, you are going to see him everywhere there. Honestly, there's even a statue of him on the main avenue, so the people from Madeira are, undoubtedly, his biggest fans. 

If you ever visit Madeira you'll confirm these things and many more, and I'm sure you'll have a good time on our beautiful Portuguese paradise!

Your TopCrusher,
Daniela 


No comments:

Post a Comment